No Gremlins Allowed

One Hundred....as in "this is my 100th post". Crazy. Funny thing is, 60% of my postings are from 2008 and we're only 3 months in. I was pretty slackity slack on the blog front last year. Once I discovered that this is an easier way to keep friends and fam updated I started to get my act together a little more...and the multitude of excellent blogs I have found lately makes me want to write better, wittier, livelier blog posts. I try.

The happenings around our residence these days have been a mad dash as we've been throwing our Vancouver trip together. The past two days we've spent internet researching, calling and booking..and going slightly crazy. We have our room booked for the week in Vancouver, but wanted to do something a little nicer and more romantic while in Victoria for a night (as romantic as you can get with an 8 month infant in your room). Steve and I both HEART bed and breakfasts. They are personable, cozy and you get a delicious breakfast in the morning. We usually splurge a bit and get one with a jacuzzi in our room...it's all about the ambiance. We looked around for B&B's in Victoria and we had so many to choose from! Beautiful, tranquil and luxurious rooms for not bad prices. But we began to notice that as we called to book a room...most B&B's are baby haters. What the?!

We knew having a baby would change our lives forever, but it's these new unexpected speed bumps that get me. After the 5th B&B turned us down because we have a baby (who sleeps through the night I might add!) I began to get a little fuming. "We appreciate your business Dear Customer, but if you have a bald, pudgey faced human with you, you are not welcome." It's as if they are these little gremlins coming to destroy all Bed and Breakfasts everywhere. I guess B&B's are good for only makin' babies, not actually bringing one with you. I even found a gorgeous B&B that said right in their description "Sound Proof Walls", I thought we had hit the jackpot! We called and inquired, but no dice for the baby folk. You'd think that with sound proof walls to drown out the bed post hitting the wall, a little baby coo or cry here and there wouldn't make a difference. I made one last attempt and found a website that listed all the B&B's in Victoria with a category beside it that said "Children". I don't even know why they bothered to do that since NONE of them said "Welcome". I was so miffed I dismissed the B&B idea all together. We ended up booking in a Boutique Hotel in downtown Victoria who aren't baby snobs. It isn't the cutest room, but it's much cheaper and in the perfect location. So...whatevs.

Yesterday when we went to book our flights, we noticed my Dad had given us his airmiles number but not his pin. So no bookie-the-flights, until we got ahold of my Pops. Who just so happened to be conveniently fishing in Northern Saskatchewan with my Uncle....with no cell phone service. After frantically calling around to my family members, I tracked him down around midnight. So with airmiles pin in hand, Steve spent an hour on the phone this morning booking our flights. It was no easy task for my hubby as our darling daughter thought it was time to test her lung capacity by yelling "BAH! BAH! BAH!" all while Steve was trying to understand the lady booking our flights with the heavy French accent.

But, after all that I am happy to report, we have our flights booked as well as our boutique hotel in Victoria. It's all comin' together. I just need to shake this little cold that set in this morning and we'll be on our way to the west coast in 3 days. We are still uncertain of what exactly we are going to do in Victoria, other than stroll down the streets, eat some delicious food and visit the cool shops....any ideas?

8 comments:

Erika Britt said...

Lame-o on the lack of friendly B&B's friend. What did you end up finding in Vancouver?

Kindra said...

Steve's Dad's apartment building complex rents out a guest room for $45 a night...and if you stay for 6 nights the 7th is free. Best dang deal we could have got!

Erika Britt said...

Oh wow! That is a deal! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

wow, who'da thought b&b's were such baby haters, strange... I'm sure in the end you'll have a great time no matter where you stay... :)

Me said...

If the weather is half decent you must take the little boat tour off the harbour if they allow babies. (I can't remember what it's called. It was really informative and the scenery is gorgeous. Craigdaroch (sp aweful I'm sure) is also really neat but a good walk from downtown. Beauchart Gardens (again spelling)is beautiful as well but not near by. We found the city bus really easy to use. You also must find a traditional tea room and have tea and scones. There was once a quaint little tea house called St. James Tea Room behind the parlement buildings. If nothing else hang out at the beach and watch the ocean! Have an awesome time!
Pooey about the B&B's!

Me said...

Craigdaroch 'Castle' - sorry, mistype!

Kindra said...

Thanks again for all the suggestions Carla! A friend just mentioned the castle to us today, and I think we will check that out for sure. Visiting a cozy tea house sounds awesome!

Arden and Erika said...

Ditch Records. It is where the party is at.

Blog Archive