More Than The Birds....

Steve and I have been planning a trip to Vancouver for over a year. Steve's Dad lives out there, and I have actually never been there before. Steve has been so excited to take me to to the coast he can hardly contain himself. With the gift of my Dad's airmiles and our own, and some money we have saved we are finally making the trip this year! We knew we'd be going late Spring...maybe May-ish...you know. Or even say June or July. But Steve comes home from his new carpentry job (the one he's been doing for 3 weeks) and says "So I may be getting laid off."

WHAT?!?!?!

We are in the most financially strapped position we have EVER been in in our whole marriage and probably our lives. Every bit of money Steve makes we scrimp and scrounge and put towards only the necessities. That little statement was a bit of a blow.

"But not really laid off" he relents. "Only for a week or two."

Okay. This we can handle. This we can deal with. I was just reading Matthew 6:25-30 this morning, where Jesus says not to worry about what you will eat, or drink or wear. God takes care of the birds and we are so much more valuable than they are, so we need to trust that He will provide and take care of us. I prayed that verse over us, and trusted that God would take care of us. A week or two with no work...okay God. You're taking care of us.

As we sat over dinner and let the idea of no work (ie: money) for two weeks sink in, Steve started opening the mail....Oh look here's my measly tax return for the year. Well that's nice...$50 makes a difference. Oh and lookie here, my maternity benefits are in. And wait...what's this? A government check.....for a good chunk of money! But wait?!...there's more! Another government check...for an even bigger chunk of money!!! (These were our long overdue Child Tax Benefits that we haven't been receiving even though our child is 8 months old). What a blessing!! All this money added up to a month's worth of wages. Steve and I were beaming.

After a short silence, Steve looks up at me and says "You know that Vancouver trip we've been planning? Instead of being off for a week of work now, and then taking off another week in summer....why don't we just go now?"

I blinked slowly. "Ohhhh...kaaaay"

The money for our trip is saved up already, so it really is the perfect time to go. So in a bit of a whirlwind, we have been on the phone with airmiles, Steve's Dad and a cozy Bed and Breakfast on Vancouver Island. Looks like we'll be leaving early next week! I can hardly wait. There hasn't been much time for it to sink in yet, but I'm excited. I'm excited to visit such a beautiful city. I'm excited to see the West Coast. But most of all, I'm excited for Eva to meet her Grandpa!

God really has taken care of us, and we were blessed many times over today. Thanks God. It's good to know you love us more than the birds.

7 comments:

Erika Britt said...

This is so freakin' awesome. Ah! What a provision. How wonderful! Yay God!

Thanks, I am feeling a whole lot better! Better than I have in weeks.

Um, Arden and I are leaving on our trip on April 29th. I don't think we'll be traveling to southern Alberta before we leave but do let us know if you are in E-town anytime soon.

Hey, do you have your B&B set up for Vancouver Island? Arden found a ridiculously affordable and wonderful B&B in Uclulet (near Tofino) for our honeymoon that I can pass on to you if you want. No idea what part of V-Island you'll be in but just thought I would put that out there!

Kindra said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better Erika!

Yeah, God is pretty dang awesome. I did find a really affordable B&B in Namaimo but haven't called them yet. We don't really have a clear cut plan of what we are doing, we just know we are driving to V-Island for 2 days and staying one night. I would love it if you passed on a B&B site to me! Steve and I are all about the B&B's. They are so personal, cozy and quaint. So much better than a hotel room.

Erika Britt said...

Ucluelet is about a two hour drive from Nanaimo so I don't know if you want to do the drive or not. It's a pretty spectacular drive. This B&B was about 80 bucks a night.... so quiet, a ten minute walk from the beach and all the trails.

http://bbintherainforest.com

They only opened this B&B about a year ago so the rooms are brand new and beautiful.
B&B's rock. I wish I could run one. It would be a dream job of mine.

Kindra said...

Thanks so much Erika! The B&B looks amazing. I will totally talk to Steve about it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are going to have soo much fun! I am so happy you all of you!

Tarilie

Anonymous said...

oh wow, God sure does work in so many ways! I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip. I have never been but my hubby has been wanting to take me, maybe next year :) travel safe!

Precision Quality Laser said...

He provides in ways we can't even imagine.

I love all the pics of your darling daughter! She is soooo expressive!

Blog Archive