Burninating The Countryside....

...(name that reference)

When I was pregnant I had an array of uncomfortable ailments as I'm sure ALL pregnant women can attest to. Gotta love those 'ol 'roids that plague the entire duration of pregnancy! (Just me? Oh...okay)

One of the worst was the ridiculous heartburn that I thought was going to burn a hole right through my esophagus. I had never had heartburn before, and the first time it decided to pay me a visit I thought "What's this strange burning sensation in my throat?" "Heartburn" my husband says. It was pretty mild, so my next thought was "If this is heartburn, what are people moaning about?"....little did I know that within a short month that mild heartburn going to take over my body for the next 2 months and rampage my throat and feel like I was a dragon that could breathe fire with one short puff. I was told my baby would have lots of hair since I was getting horrible heartburn EVERYDAY....but alas the old wives tales were wrong. She's 9 months old and still a baldy.

My husband never quite got used to all the things that were wrong with me "because of the pregnancy." I had run up a list of things like forgetfulness and terrible back aches, when my husband and I were brushing our teeth before bed and I spit out the toothpaste and it was all pink. My husband freaked out "What is wrong with you?!"...and before I could say "it's because of the pregnancy" he was saying it in unison with me while rolling his eyes. Shoulda known.

Probably one of the weirdest pregnancy ailments I got was hot feet. Like "my feet will incinerate themselves from the inside" hot feet. I mostly only got that sensation at night. I absolutely cannot sleep if my feet are hot. I used to sleep with the window open, my feet sticking out of the blankets and a fan blowing air directly onto them. Some nights if it was really bad I'd go down to the freezer, throw some ice cubes in a ziplock bag and place them on my feet. I remember being at a friends house in June and their apartment was really hot. I had a fan in my room, but it just wasn't cutting it. It was the wee hours of the morning and I desperately wanted sleep but needed to cool down my burning tootsies. At 2am I crept into my friends bathroom, ran a sink full of ice cold water and plunged my feet inside. It felt so good! I didn't bother to dry them off, thinking that with the fan blowing air on my wet feet it would make it even cooler. But my raging hot feet evaporated the water too quickly and soon I was back in their washroom plunging them into a sink full of cold water again.

Surprisingly, this is one of the strange pregnancy afflictions that decided to stick around after I had my baby. Even 9 months later, I still have to sleep with my feet sticking out of the blankets with the window open. In winter when it was too cold to open the window, I had my trusty ice packs that I slept with. My other post-pregnancy weirdness was 3 months after I had Eva and my hair started falling out in handfuls. I would run my fingers through my hair and have a handful of tresses as a souvenir. It was disgusting. A couple months ago it decided to grow back...so I had these cute little baby hairs along the front of my head and in my part. When those baby hairs started really growing, I now have these ridiculous short hairs that stick straight out of my head. It looks like I tried to give myself my own hair cut...but thought it would be cool if I cut it off at the scalp. Awesome. Luckily, I know I am not alone in this, since I saw another post-pregnant friend with same wily baby hairs sticking out of her head.

So my pregnant friends...got any crazy pregnancy symptoms? Any of you have weird things that stuck around after you had your baby?

10 comments:

Me said...

I had the hot feet and hot hands during the latter part of my pregnancy. The hands were the worst! I was putting them on every possible cold surface throughout the days. Fortunately for me my temperature has returned to normal.
My hair too, fell out in clumps. Trevor was sure I was going to

Me said...

Ack - it deleted some of my comment...

"compete with him in the bald department with the amount of hair coming off of my head.!"

Kindra said...

Nice! Did you also get the wild and crazy baby hairs?

Dallas said...

ha ha, I hear ya on all of it! I had the heart burn, bad, the hair loss, the back pain, even the bleeding gums but the WORST of all was the middle of the night sudden, out of no where leg cramps. The ones that shoot pains up from your knee to you thigh so bad that you are frozen still, unable to even try and stretch out of it. Man those were brutal! And I found with myself that with baby #2, lots of those things got worse. :)

Me said...

Yes, I got and still have crazy baby hairs. They're not as short now but still definitely there.

Anonymous said...

TROGDOR!
TROGDOR!

Trogdor was a man
I mean, he was a dragon man
Or maybe he was just a dragon

But he was still TROGDOR!
TROGDOR!

Burninating the countryside,
Burninating the peasants
Burninating all the peoples
And their thatched-roof COTTAGES!

THATCHED-ROOF COTTAGES!

(Woah, this has wicked dueling guitar solos!
It's like, Squeedly versus Meedley over here.
Go Squeedly!
Go Squeedly!
SQUEEDLY WINS!)

When all the land is in ruin,
And burnination has forsaken the countryside,
Only one guy will remain.

My money's on TROGDOR!
TROGDOR!

And theTrogdor comes in the NIIIGHT...

Vanessa said...

For some reason, since I got pregnant with Liam I can't hold anything between my teeth (like keys or a pen) without gagging now. And with each pregnancy my nose gets really stuffed up and I SNORE like an obese man...poor Nialle.

The Over-Thinker said...

Gall darn it...Steve beat me to it.

Have you heard Limozeen's song that goes: She was only twenty-seventeen!!

Love. That.

My husband is a freak for all things Strong-Bad/Homestar---he teaches and I absorb :) This is the first time it's come in handy for blog-commenting. Whee!

Kindra said...

No I haven't heard the Limozeen song, I should check it out. You're the first (besides my husband) to get the strong bad reference. I think we know who's cool now.

Anonymous said...

Consumate V's! I said consumate!!
Victoria
(does that mean I'm cool now too?)

Blog Archive