Korean Supreme

After my relaxing and amazing week with my family in Saskatchewan, I came home just in time to avoid this dump of snow we've had AND just in time for this month's Secret-Secret Geography Club. Dan's Settler's of Catan skills had us eating Korean this month. I just love Asian food and Asian flavors, but I can honestly say I have NEVER had Korean anything. I was so excited about this month's choice, I made two dishes so we had more to try.

I brought a noodle dish called Jap Chae.
The noodles are made of sweet potato starch and are sometimes called "glass noodles". I got the recipe from this woman who I love.

I also brought this meat dish called Bulgogi which was so good!

It's thin slices of beef that have been marinated and then cooked at the table.

Joel and Lindsey brought a dish called Bipimbap, which is sort of like a Korean "leftover" dish. Sauteed veggies with rice and red pepper paste....mmmm.


I have to admit I was sort of scared for Dan's dish. He was going to make a "Kimchi Soup" with tuna and tofu. The thought of "spicy fermented cabbage" (which is what kimchi is) absolutely did not float my boat. But Dan hasn't let us down yet, so I don't know what I was afraid of, because it was actually very good.



I'm definitely enjoying my Korean cuisine.



So far our entire meal had been really healthy. Lots of veggies, not much oil or carbs...very good for us. I had made a decision when I was leaving my Dad's place that I was going to lay off the sweets and fatty rich foods for awhile since I went kinda crazy at my Dad's. He had a pantry full of chips, chocolate, cookies, wine and we made some very delicious, but VERY rich meals. Since I've been home I haven't been doing too well :( Just yesterday afternoon we went out for lunch with some friends and I couldn't resist a piece of caramel fudge cheesecake (who could resist that I ask you?!) So during our Geography Club supper I figured I had been doing pretty well. I was pretty proud of myself, so I sat back smugly as we visited after dinner. Lisa was in the kitchen getting "Korean Dessert" ready. I figured I was in the clear, until I walked in and saw her making these.



They are called Hotteok (pronounced "Ho Duck) and they are a cross between a fried cinnamon bun and an elephant ear.
Seriously?! Fried pieces of dough filled with cinnamon, sugar, crushed peanuts and black sesame seeds!! The filling gets all hot and oozy and gooey. I have to say I failed miserably in not only saying no (gotta try ALL the food at Geography Club you know), but also at portion control. I had one and a half of these puppies and I savored every bite. I even dipped them in some extra cinnamon sugar.

We battled it out again after our dessert for next months country. I want to do Lebanese food so badly, but Dan is pretty adamant about NOT doing it. He thinks its too much like Greek food, but I think its SO not. We played canasta (yes I know...only old people play this game), but even though it was my first time playing I fought hard for Lebanon. My partner Joel was fighting for South African cuisine and pretty much EVERYONE didn't want us to win since no one wanted South African food. We fought hard...and we came close, but once again it was Dan and his wife Lisa who won out. They chose Switzerland and I can't say I'm sad about it. We are going to do an evening entirely of fondue. Cheese fondue, oil fondue (for cooking meat), and for dessert of course...chocolate fondue. Heck yes. Bring on the Swiss food!

2 comments:

Julie Hawryluk said...

I totally love to fondue so you should have fun with that one!! Those dessert things look so good! I only go to the fair and look forward to the fair every year just for elephant ears hee hee!! :)

Kindra said...

Steve and I are absolute gluttonous messes when we go to the fair. Last year we ate mini donuts, an elephant ear, and worst of all...a deep fried Mars bar! Nothing like sugar and fried batter to make you feel like puking :)

Blog Archive