"And the dragon comes in the NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!"

You parents out there who has a child who still wakes up a couple times in the night, I applaud you. I really don't know how you do it. Eva has always been a great sleeper, always sleeping from about 10pm till about 9am. Steve and I had a late night and sauntered into bed around 12:30am falling into a deep dreamless sleep, only to be awakened an hour later by the shrieks of our baby. Once it registered in my brain that I wasn't dreaming, I went running for her room, fumbled for her in the dark and lifted her up into my arms to calm her down. It was then that I realized I was holding a baby with a bare bum and wet legs.

Steve came in shortly afterwards, so I grabbed the lights and found a crib soaked in pee and a loose diaper waving around in there. I had put her to bed in just a diaper and a t-shirt (I will never do that again) and it must have come loose. After getting her into clean dry pajamas and a new diaper and changed her sheets, I put her back down in her bed. She generally cries for a few minutes before falling asleep, so I went back to my room, hoping the crying would cease. Instead it would die down, start back up, stop completely and then become wild wails. I went back in to calm her down and rock her, and of course it would work for the 10 minutes I would rock her, but back in her crib the world was ending again. I thought I'd give it one last go, but after this had been going on for an hour and it was almost 3am, I gave in and brought her into our bed. I REALLY didn't want to. I wanted to comfort her, but I don't want her to think that our bed is the only solution when she wakes up in the night. Needless to say, she fell asleep instantly, but morning came early for her and she was kicking and squirming and pinching us at 7am. Our wake up time isn't until 9am, and I knew had she been in her own bed she would have slept later, so Steve put her back in her own bed to allow us those couple hours extra of glorious sleep.

I did get them, along with a two hour nap this afternoon when Eva went down for a nap...but I haven't been able to shake this sleepy daze all day. I've been tired and lazy, and it's only 8pm on a Saturday night and I could really just call it a night and crawl into bed right now. SO glad this isn't my life on a regular basis.

3 comments:

Dani Spies said...

I don't have a little one yet, but I do understand the sleep thing. I don't do well tired either:). I suppose a night like that just makes you extra grateful for your regular schedule!

Julie Hawryluk said...

I hear you hun! Gage has always been a GREAT sleeper, slept threw the night since 6 weeks old! But when he has a bad night and wakes up and doesnt want to go back to his bed I bring him to ours! If you arent doing it everynight it should be fine! I didnt want him to get used to sleeping with us either and he hasnt and he has had to crawl in bed with us a few times! But now I can lay with him in his big boy bed :) That was the only hard thing for me adjusting to mother hood, was getting my sleepy dreams interrupted! And thank god he wasnt colic either!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have a good sleeping baby. Layla has always been terrible. She's 8 months old and we think a good night is her only waking up to eat once!

Blog Archive